The utilization of a laboratory grade mushroom is becoming increasingly popular among mushroom aficionados and amateurs who are intrigued by the study of edible and poisonous mushrooms. Laboratory grade mushrooms are specifically bred and bred for disease resistance and therefore, are inherently cleaner than wild harvested mushrooms. These mushrooms are comprehensive in the types of fungi they have been tested to be–from common edible mushrooms to more specialized ones that may have medicinal properties or may even be considered poisonous.
The identification of edible mushrooms has always been of great interest to mushroom foragers, yet identifying poisonous mushrooms is of even higher importance. Laboratory grade mushrooms are particularly advantageous in this regard; their carefully controlled environment eliminates the possibility of misidentification or the potential of consuming a dangerously poisonous mushroom. Once they have been properly identified in a laboratory, edible mushrooms can then be collected in the wild, a process which is far more enjoyable and rewarding as it ensures that a wide variety of mushrooms are available.
Laboratory grade mushroom spores also offer certain advantages in study, as they are easy to obtain and provide a basic understanding of the behavior of a sample mushroom. With laboratory grade mushrooms, the study of edibility can be conducted in a controlled setting and any perceptive hazards can be safely identified and observed. Additionally, advances in the identification of active compounds within a mushroom can be monitored, thus providing insight into the potential toxicity of a mushroom and its effects.