Only a few known poisonous fungi species cause death immediately after they are ingested. But most of them resemble edible mushrooms, which makes them very difficult to identify.
Perhaps the most dangerous of all, the fungus called the viper’s sponge – Amanita Phalloides – is widespread throughout Europe and resembles edible mushrooms, according to the Encyclopedia Britannica. It looks harmless, has a pleasant smell, and is very tasty, but it is the richest in amatoxins, which makes it deadly.
The amatoxins it contains remain stable even at high temperatures, so they withstand the cooking process. Once ingested, these toxins quickly cause damage to cells throughout the body.
6-12 hours after ingestion, violent abdominal pain, vomiting, and severe diarrhea will appear, and the body will become intensely dehydrated. Soon, there will be signs of liver, kidney, and central nervous system damage, including a decrease in urine and blood sugar levels.
All this leads to coma and death in over 50% of cases. Notorious people killed by this fungus were Pope Clement VII, who accidentally poisoned himself in 1534, and the Roman Emperor Claudius in the year 54.
Amanita Phalloides is an introduced species in the US, which was most likely brought with tree imports from Europe.
Obviously, to ensure your health and the health of others, it is very important to obtain any type of mushrooms or psychedelic mushroom spores from a reputable source.